Electronics Maintenance & Repair
Types of Degrees Electronics Maintenance & Repair Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many electronics maintenance and repair graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Electronics Maintenance & Repair Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to electronics repair and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Electronics Repair Majors
Electronics Repair majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
Skills for Electronics Repair Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to electronics repair:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Abilities for Electronics Repair Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a electronics repair student include the following:
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
What Can You Do With a Electronics Maintenance & Repair Major?
People with a electronics repair degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||6.9%||$42,840|
|Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment||2.3%||$58,110|
|Radio, Cellular, and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers||5.5%||$54,890|
|Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers||14.2%||$47,190|
|Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers||1.5%||$58,280|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics Maintenance & Repair?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of electronics repair majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||0|
|Hispanic or Latino||15|
How Much Do Electronics Maintenance & Repair Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Electronics Repair majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $40,880 to $56,340 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Electronics Maintenance & Repair
Some careers associated with electronics repair require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to electronics repair have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||3.2%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||41.1%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||30.9%|
|Some College Courses||7.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||13.6%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.2%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||1.2%|
Online Electronics Maintenance & Repair Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 444 schools offered some type of electronics maintenance and repair program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||312||7|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||282||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||38||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Electronics Maintenance & Repair Worth It?
The median salary for a electronics repair grad is $44,710 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 12% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $96,200 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Electronics Maintenance & Repair
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to electronics repair.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Vehicle Maintenance & Repair||66,005|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation & Refrigeration||19,885|
|Heavy/Industrial Equipment Maintenance||8,889|
|Precision Systems Maintenance||1,816|
|Mechanic & Repair Tech (Other)||1,017|
|Mechanics & Repairers||505|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|