Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at University of Rochester

Find Schools Near

Music at University of Rochester

If you are interested in studying music, you may want to check out the program at University of Rochester. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

University of Rochester is located in Rochester, New York and approximately 11,741 students attend the school each year. Of the 2,035 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Rochester in 2021, 127 of them were music majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

University of Rochester Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music
  • Master’s Degree in Music
  • Doctorate Degree in Music

University of Rochester Music Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks music programs across the country. The following shows how University of Rochester performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at University of Rochester is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Music Master’s Degree Schools 242
Best Value Music Schools 497

In 2021, 66 students received their master’s degree in music from University of Rochester. This makes it the #17 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 46 students who received their doctoral degrees in music, making the school the #4 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Music Graduates from University of Rochester Make?

The median salary of music students who receive their bachelor's degree at University of Rochester is $12,050. Unfortunately, this is lower than the national average of $24,982 for all music students.


Music Student Demographics at University of Rochester

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at University of Rochester.

University of Rochester Music Bachelor’s Program

54% Women
28% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The music program at University of Rochester awarded 127 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 46% of these degrees went to men with the other 54% going to women. The typical music bachelor's degree program is made up of only 46% women. So female students are more repesented at University of Rochester since its program graduates 8% more women than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Rochester with a bachelor's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 12
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 63
International Students 26
Other Races/Ethnicities 12

University of Rochester Music Master’s Program

48% Women
17% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 66 students earned a master's degree in music from University of Rochester. About 48% of these graduates were women and the other 52% were men.


Of the students who received a music master's degree from University of Rochester, 56% were white. This is typical for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Rochester with a master's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 37
International Students 18
Other Races/Ethnicities 4

University of Rochester also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2021, 46 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for University of Rochester.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 11,530 $99,870
Music Directors and Composers 2,780 $66,120
Sound Engineering Technicians 1,770 $82,030


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.