Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Communication & Media Studies at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus

Find Schools Near

Communication & Media Studies at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus

If you are interested in studying communication and media studies, you may want to check out the program at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Pitt is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and has a total student population of 32,277. Of the 5,522 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus in 2021, 47 of them were communication and media studies majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Communication & Media Studies section at the bottom of this page.

Pitt Communication & Media Studies Degrees Available

  • Basic Certificate in Communications (Less Than 1 Year)
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Communications

Pitt Communication & Media Studies Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the communications progam at Pitt compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The communications major at Pitt is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Communication & Media Studies. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Communication & Media Studies Bachelor’s Degree Schools 313

How Much Do Communications Graduates from Pitt Make?

The median salary of communications students who receive their bachelor's degree at Pitt is $34,812. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 7% higher than the national average of $32,435 for all communications bachelor's degree recipients.


Communications Student Demographics at Pitt

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the communications majors at University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus.

Pitt Communication & Media Studies Bachelor’s Program

55% Women
19% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The communications program at Pitt awarded 47 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 45% of these degrees went to men with the other 55% going to women. The typical communications bachelor's degree program is made up of only 36% men. So male students are more repesented at Pitt since its program graduates 9% more men than average.


About 70% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in communications at Pitt are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus with a bachelor's in communications.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 33
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 4

Pitt also has a doctoral program available in communications. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Communications Grads May Go Into

A degree in communications can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Campus.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Public Relations Specialists 8,390 $61,510
Editors 3,020 $62,870
Writers and Authors 1,400 $60,140
Reporters and Correspondents 1,330 $39,600
Communications Professors 1,280 $76,720


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.