Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Sociology at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Sociology at University of Pennsylvania

Every sociology school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the sociology program at University of Pennsylvania stacks up to those at other schools.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and has a total student population of 26,552. Of the 3,499 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pennsylvania in 2021, 23 of them were sociology majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Sociology section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Sociology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology
  • Master’s Degree in Sociology
  • Doctorate Degree in Sociology

UPenn Sociology Rankings

The sociology major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Sociology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2021, 6 students received their master’s degree in sociology from UPenn. This makes it the #64 most popular school for sociology master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 8 students who received their doctoral degrees in sociology, making the school the #21 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Sociology Graduates from UPenn Make?

The median salary of sociology students who receive their bachelor's degree at UPenn is $43,668. This is 43% higher than $30,566, which is the national average for all sociology bachelor's degree recipients.


Sociology Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the sociology majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Sociology Bachelor’s Program

65% Women
61% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The sociology program at UPenn awarded 23 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 35% of these degrees went to men with the other 65% going to women. The typical sociology bachelor's degree program is made up of only 25% men. So male students are more repesented at UPenn since its program graduates 10% more men than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 2% more racial-ethnic minorities in its sociology bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in sociology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 8
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 4

UPenn Sociology Master’s Program

67% Women
17% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 33% of sociology master's degrees went to men and 67% went to women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 25% men graduate in sociology each year. UPenn does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 8% more men than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a master's in sociology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 3
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in sociology. In 2021, 8 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Sociology Grads May Go Into

A degree in sociology can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Managers 11,060 $126,290
Sociology Professors 800 $80,290
Sociologists 60 $121,470


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.