Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Philosophy at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Philosophy at University of Pennsylvania

What traits are you looking for in a philosophy school? To help you decide if University of Pennsylvania is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's philosophy program.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and has a total student population of 26,552. Of the 3,499 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from University of Pennsylvania in 2021, 199 of them were philosophy majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Philosophy section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Philosophy Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy
  • Master’s Degree in Philosophy
  • Doctorate Degree in Philosophy

UPenn Philosophy Rankings

The philosophy major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Philosophy. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2021, 5 students received their master’s degree in philosophy from UPenn. This makes it the #54 most popular school for philosophy master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 2 students who received their doctoral degrees in philosophy, making the school the #67 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Earnings of UPenn Philosophy Graduates

The median salary of philosophy students who receive their bachelor's degree at UPenn is $61,331. This is 114% higher than $28,602, which is the national average for all philosophy bachelor's degree recipients.


Philosophy Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the philosophy majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Philosophy Bachelor’s Program

52% Women
39% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 48% of philosophy bachelor's degrees went to men and 52% went to women. The typical philosophy bachelor's degree program is made up of only 41% women. So female students are more repesented at UPenn since its program graduates 11% more women than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 5% more racial-ethnic minorities in its philosophy bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in philosophy.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 33
Black or African American 11
Hispanic or Latino 24
White 88
International Students 29
Other Races/Ethnicities 14

UPenn Philosophy Master’s Program

40% Women
60% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The philosophy program at UPenn awarded 5 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 60% of these degrees went to men with the other 40% going to women.


In the philosophy master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 60% of degree recipients. That is 27% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a master's in philosophy.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 1
International Students 1
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in philosophy. In 2021, 2 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Philosophy Grads May Go Into

A degree in philosophy can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Natural Sciences Managers 4,480 $147,810
Mathematical Science Professors 2,460 $88,390
Philosophy and Religion Professors 1,040 $84,800
Mathematicians 50 $76,250


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.