Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Biomedical Engineering at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Biomedical Engineering at University of Pennsylvania

What traits are you looking for in a bio engineering school? To help you decide if University of Pennsylvania is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's bio engineering program.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and approximately 26,552 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 45 bio engineering majors received their bachelor's degree from UPenn.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Biomedical Engineering section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Biomedical Engineering Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Bio Engineering
  • Master’s Degree in Bio Engineering
  • Doctorate Degree in Bio Engineering

UPenn Biomedical Engineering Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the bio engineering progam at UPenn compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The bio engineering major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Biomedical Engineering. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Biomedical Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Schools 76

In 2021, 62 students received their master’s degree in bio engineering from UPenn. This makes it the #8 most popular school for bio engineering master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 20 students who received their doctoral degrees in bio engineering, making the school the #10 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Earnings of UPenn Bio Engineering Graduates

The median salary of bio engineering students who receive their bachelor's degree at UPenn is $72,773. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 32% higher than the national average of $55,043 for all bio engineering bachelor's degree recipients.


Bio Engineering Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the bio engineering majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Biomedical Engineering Bachelor’s Program

56% Women
53% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
Of the 45 students who earned a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering from UPenn in 2020-2021, 44% were men and 56% were women.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 17% more racial-ethnic minorities in its bio engineering bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in bio engineering.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 12
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 17
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

UPenn Biomedical Engineering Master’s Program

52% Women
35% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The bio engineering program at UPenn awarded 62 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 48% of these degrees went to men with the other 52% going to women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a master's in bio engineering.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 10
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 4
White 22
International Students 18
Other Races/Ethnicities 2

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in bio engineering. In 2021, 20 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Bio Engineering Grads May Go Into

A degree in bio engineering can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Architectural and Engineering Managers 7,220 $150,400
Engineering Professors 2,950 $114,870
Biomedical Engineers 1,340 $78,840


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.