Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Sociology at Syracuse University

Find Schools Near

Sociology at Syracuse University

If you are interested in studying sociology, you may want to check out the program at Syracuse University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Syracuse is located in Syracuse, New York and has a total student population of 21,322. Of the 4,193 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Syracuse University in 2021, 51 of them were sociology majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Sociology section at the bottom of this page.

Syracuse Sociology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology
  • Master’s Degree in Sociology
  • Doctorate Degree in Sociology

Syracuse Sociology Rankings

The sociology major at Syracuse is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Sociology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2021, 5 students received their master’s degree in sociology from Syracuse. This makes it the #94 most popular school for sociology master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 1 student who received their doctoral degrees in sociology, making the school the #100 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Earnings of Syracuse Sociology Graduates

The median salary of sociology students who receive their bachelor's degree at Syracuse is $32,936. This is 8% higher than $30,566, which is the national average for all sociology bachelor's degree recipients.


Sociology Student Demographics at Syracuse

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the sociology majors at Syracuse University.

Syracuse Sociology Bachelor’s Program

63% Women
45% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 51 students graduated with a bachelor's degree in sociology from Syracuse. About 37% were men and 63% were women. The typical sociology bachelor's degree program is made up of only 25% men. So male students are more repesented at Syracuse since its program graduates 12% more men than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Syracuse University with a bachelor's in sociology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 10
Hispanic or Latino 6
White 24
International Students 1
Other Races/Ethnicities 5

Syracuse Sociology Master’s Program

60% Women
40% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The sociology program at Syracuse awarded 5 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 40% of these degrees went to men with the other 60% going to women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 25% men graduate in sociology each year. Syracuse does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 15% more men than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Syracuse University with a master's in sociology.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 1
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Syracuse also has a doctoral program available in sociology. In 2021, 1 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Sociology Grads May Go Into

A degree in sociology can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Syracuse University.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Managers 16,600 $124,160
Sociology Professors 1,290 $90,250
Sociologists 190 $75,800


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.