Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at New York University

Find Schools Near

Music at New York University

If you plan to study music, take a look at what New York University has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

NYU is located in New York, New York and approximately 52,775 students attend the school each year. Of the 6,752 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from New York University in 2021, 47 of them were music majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

NYU Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music
  • Master’s Degree in Music
  • Doctorate Degree in Music

NYU Music Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks music programs across the country. The following shows how NYU performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at NYU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Music Schools 14

In 2021, 129 students received their master’s degree in music from NYU. This makes it the #4 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 7 students who received their doctoral degrees in music, making the school the #60 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Music Graduates from NYU Make?

The median salary of music students who receive their bachelor's degree at NYU is $23,570. Unfortunately, this is lower than the national average of $24,982 for all music students.


Music Student Demographics at NYU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at New York University.

NYU Music Bachelor’s Program

43% Women
40% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 47 students earned a bachelor's degree in music from NYU. About 43% of these graduates were women and the other 57% were men.


About 51% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in music at NYU are white. This is typical for this degree on the nationwide level. Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 11% more racial-ethnic minorities in its music bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from New York University with a bachelor's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 7
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 24
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 7

NYU Music Master’s Program

49% Women
22% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 51% of music master's degrees went to men and 49% went to women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from New York University with a master's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 9
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 46
International Students 50
Other Races/Ethnicities 7

NYU also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2021, 7 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for New York University.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 11,530 $99,870
Music Directors and Composers 2,780 $66,120
Sound Engineering Technicians 1,770 $82,030


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.