Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at Howard University

Find Schools Near

Music at Howard University

Every music school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the music program at Howard University stacks up to those at other schools.

Howard is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 10,859. In 2021, 19 music majors received their bachelor's degree from Howard.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

Howard Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music

Howard Music Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the music progam at Howard compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at Howard is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Music Master’s Degree Schools 300
Most Focused Music Master’s Degree Schools 300
Best Value Music Schools 437

In 2021, 0 student received their master’s degree in music from Howard. This is the #301 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

Music Student Demographics at Howard

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at Howard University.

Howard Music Bachelor’s Program

74% Women
100% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 19 students earned a bachelor's degree in music from Howard. About 74% of these graduates were women and the other 26% were men. The typical music bachelor's degree program is made up of only 46% women. So female students are more repesented at Howard since its program graduates 28% more women than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 71% more racial-ethnic minorities in its music bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Howard University with a bachelor's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 15
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 0
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Howard also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for Howard University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
High School Teachers 3,850 $65,180
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 490 $100,590
Music Directors and Composers 90 $77,220
Sound Engineering Technicians 60 $79,410


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.