Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Education at Harvard University

Find Schools Near

Education at Harvard University

If you are interested in studying education, you may want to check out the program at Harvard University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Harvard is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and approximately 30,391 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Education section at the bottom of this page.

Harvard Education Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Education
  • Doctorate Degree in Education

Online Classes Are Available at Harvard

Don't have the time or the flexibility in your schedule to take traditional classes? Online courses may be the perfect solution for you. They allow independent learners to study when and where they want to while offering the rigor of in-person classes.

Are you one of the many who prefer to take online classes? Harvard offers distance education options for education at the following degree levels:

Harvard Education Rankings

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

In 2021, 662 students received their master’s degree in education from Harvard. This makes it the #26 most popular school for education master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 33 students who received their doctoral degrees in education, making the school the #118 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Education Student Demographics at Harvard

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the education majors at Harvard University.

Harvard Education Master’s Program

73% Women
39% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The education program at Harvard awarded 662 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 27% of these degrees went to men with the other 73% going to women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 19% men graduate in education each year. Harvard does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 8% more men than average.


In the education master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 39% of degree recipients. That is 8% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Harvard University with a master's in education.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 63
Black or African American 80
Hispanic or Latino 84
White 228
International Students 172
Other Races/Ethnicities 35

Harvard also has a doctoral program available in education. In 2021, 33 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Concentrations Within Education

If you plan to be a education major, you may want to focus your studies on one of the following concentrations. The table shows all degrees awarded in this field awarded for all degree levels at Harvard University. A concentration may not be available for your level.

Concentration Annual Degrees Awarded
General Education 591
Instructional Media Design 124
Teacher Education Subject Specific 26
Student Counseling 9
Curriculum & Instruction 4
Educational Assessment 4
Multilingual Education 3

Careers That Education Grads May Go Into

A degree in education can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for MA, the home state for Harvard University.

Occupation Jobs in MA Average Salary in MA
Teacher Assistants 38,770 $35,680
Elementary School Teachers 30,380 $82,600
High School Teachers 26,420 $80,020
Middle School Teachers 16,910 $79,030
Preschool Teachers 16,360 $39,180


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.