Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Public Health at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

Public Health at George Washington University

What traits are you looking for in a public health school? To help you decide if George Washington University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's public health program.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 27,017. Of the 3,572 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from George Washington University in 2021, 97 of them were public health majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Public Health section at the bottom of this page.

GWU Public Health Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health
  • Master’s Degree in Public Health
  • Doctorate Degree in Public Health

Online Classes Are Available at GWU

If you are a working student or have a busy schedule, you may want to consider taking online classes. While these classes used to be mostly populated by returning adults, more and more traditional students are turning to this option.

Are you one of the many who prefer to take online classes? GWU offers distance education options for public health at the following degree levels:

GWU Public Health Rankings

The public health major at GWU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Public Health. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

In 2021, 540 students received their master’s degree in public health from GWU. This makes it the #1 most popular school for public health master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 7 students who received their doctoral degrees in public health, making the school the #38 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Public Health Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the public health majors at George Washington University.

GWU Public Health Bachelor’s Program

91% Women
42% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 97 public health majors earned their bachelor's degree from GWU. Of these graduates, 9% were men and 91% were women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's in public health.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 22
Black or African American 7
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 48
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

GWU Public Health Master’s Program

82% Women
52% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The public health program at GWU awarded 540 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 18% of these degrees went to men with the other 82% going to women.


In the public health master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 52% of degree recipients. That is 4% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in public health.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 96
Black or African American 110
Hispanic or Latino 49
White 220
International Students 9
Other Races/Ethnicities 56

GWU also has a doctoral program available in public health. In 2021, 7 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Public Health Grads May Go Into

A degree in public health can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Environmental Scientists and Specialists 1,600 $115,190
Medical and Health Services Managers 1,580 $145,760
Community Health Workers 810 $61,770
Physicists 670 $144,300


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.