Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Special Education at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

Special Education at George Washington University

If you are interested in studying special education, you may want to check out the program at George Washington University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 27,017.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Special Education section at the bottom of this page.

GWU Special Education Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Special Ed
  • Doctorate Degree in Special Ed

Online Classes Are Available at GWU

Don't have the time or the flexibility in your schedule to take traditional classes? Online courses may be the perfect solution for you. They allow independent learners to study when and where they want to while offering the rigor of in-person classes.

GWU does offer online education options in special ed for the following degree levels for those interested in distance learning:

  • Master’s Degree

GWU Special Education Rankings

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

There were 5 students who received their doctoral degrees in special ed, making the school the #9 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Special Ed Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the special ed majors at George Washington University.

GWU Special Education Master’s Program

88% Women
35% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 51 students earned a master's degree in special ed from GWU. About 88% of these graduates were women and the other 12% were men.


Of the students who received a special ed master's degree from GWU, 55% were white. This is below average for this degree on the natiowide level. In the special ed master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 35% of degree recipients. That is 7% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in special ed.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 11
Hispanic or Latino 5
White 28
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 4

Careers That Special Ed Grads May Go Into

A degree in special ed can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Kindergarten or Elementary School Special Education Teachers 630 $78,830
Interpreters and Translators 490 $93,730
Special Education Professors 490 $73,240
Special Education Teachers 160 $67,310


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.