Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Information Science at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

Information Science at George Washington University

If you are interested in studying information science, you may want to check out the program at George Washington University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 27,017. In 2021, 19 IS majors received their bachelor's degree from GWU.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Information Science section at the bottom of this page.

GWU Information Science Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in IS
  • Master’s Degree in IS

GWU Information Science Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks IS programs across the country. The following shows how GWU performed in these rankings.

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The IS major at GWU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Information Science. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Information Science Schools 41

In 2021, 67 students received their master’s degree in IS from GWU. This makes it the #26 most popular school for IS master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do IS Graduates from GWU Make?

The median salary of IS students who receive their bachelor's degree at GWU is $67,132. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 27% higher than the national average of $52,802 for all IS bachelor's degree recipients.


IS Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the IS majors at George Washington University.

GWU Information Science Bachelor’s Program

63% Women
47% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The IS program at GWU awarded 19 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 37% of these degrees went to men with the other 63% going to women. The typical IS bachelor's degree program is made up of only 34% women. So female students are more repesented at GWU since its program graduates 29% more women than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 9% more racial-ethnic minorities in its IS bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's in IS.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 2
International Students 5
Other Races/Ethnicities 6

GWU Information Science Master’s Program

40% Women
25% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 67 IS majors earned their master's degree from GWU. Of these graduates, 60% were men and 40% were women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in IS.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 6
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 5
White 11
International Students 38
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

GWU also has a doctoral program available in IS. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That IS Grads May Go Into

A degree in IS can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Computer Workers 18,040 $117,540
Computer and Information Systems Managers 4,020 $168,500
Systems Software Developers 2,690 $115,610
Computer and Information Research Scientists 480 $127,900
Computer Science Professors 210 $123,250


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.