Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Literature at George Mason University

Find Schools Near

Literature at George Mason University

If you are interested in studying literature, you may want to check out the program at George Mason University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

GMU is located in Fairfax, Virginia and has a total student population of 37,863.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Literature section at the bottom of this page.

GMU Literature Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Literature

GMU Literature Rankings

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Literature Student Demographics at GMU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the literature majors at George Mason University.

GMU Literature Master’s Program

75% Women
14% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The literature program at GMU awarded 36 master's degrees in 2018-2019. About 25% of these degrees went to men with the other 75% going to women.

GMU Gender Breakdown of Literature Master's Degree Grads

Of the students who received a literature master's degree from GMU, 72% were white. This is above average for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Mason University with a master's in literature.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Literature Majors at George Mason University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 26
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 4

Careers That Literature Grads May Go Into

A degree in literature can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for VA, the home state for George Mason University.

Occupation Jobs in VA Average Salary in VA
Editors 3,450 $72,660
English Language and Literature Professors 2,320 $61,690
Writers and Authors 1,220 $68,600

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.