Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at Hunter College

Find Schools Near

Music at Hunter College

What traits are you looking for in a music school? To help you decide if Hunter College is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's music program.

Hunter is located in New York, New York and has a total student population of 24,052. In the 2020-2021 academic year, 30 students received a bachelor's degree in music from Hunter.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

Hunter Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music
  • Master’s Degree in Music

Hunter Music Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the music progam at Hunter compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at Hunter is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Focused Music Master’s Degree Schools 212
Best Music Bachelor’s Degree Schools 417
Best Music Schools 438

In 2021, 9 students received their master’s degree in music from Hunter. This makes it the #163 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

Earnings of Hunter Music Graduates

The median salary of music students who receive their bachelor's degree at Hunter is $27,183. This is 9% higher than $24,982, which is the national average for all music bachelor's degree recipients.


Music Student Demographics at Hunter

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at Hunter College.

Hunter Music Bachelor’s Program

67% Women
67% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
For the most recent academic year available, 33% of music bachelor's degrees went to men and 67% went to women. The typical music bachelor's degree program is made up of only 46% women. So female students are more repesented at Hunter since its program graduates 21% more women than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 38% more racial-ethnic minorities in its music bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Hunter College with a bachelor's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 6
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 7
International Students 3
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Hunter Music Master’s Program

44% Women
11% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The music program at Hunter awarded 9 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 56% of these degrees went to men with the other 44% going to women.


Of the students who received a music master's degree from Hunter, 78% were white. This is above average for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Hunter College with a master's in music.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 7
International Students 1
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Hunter also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Hunter College.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 11,530 $99,870
Music Directors and Composers 2,780 $66,120
Sound Engineering Technicians 1,770 $82,030


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.