Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Social Work at Hunter College

Find Schools Near

Social Work at Hunter College

If you are interested in studying social work, you may want to check out the program at Hunter College. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Hunter is located in New York, New York and has a total student population of 24,052. Of the 3,597 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Hunter College in 2021, 39 of them were social work majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Social Work section at the bottom of this page.

Hunter Social Work Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work
  • Master’s Degree in Social Work

Hunter Social Work Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the social work progam at Hunter compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The social work major at Hunter is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Social Work. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Focused Social Work Master’s Degree Schools 21
Best Value Social Work Master’s Degree Schools 106
Most Popular Social Work Bachelor’s Degree Schools 217

In 2021, 622 students received their master’s degree in social work from Hunter. This makes it the #6 most popular school for social work master’s degree candidates in the country.

Social Work Student Demographics at Hunter

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the social work majors at Hunter College.

Hunter Social Work Bachelor’s Program

90% Women
87% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 39 students earned a bachelor's degree in social work from Hunter. About 90% of these graduates were women and the other 10% were men.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 42% more racial-ethnic minorities in its social work bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Hunter College with a bachelor's in social work.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 8
Black or African American 7
Hispanic or Latino 18
White 4
International Students 1
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

Hunter Social Work Master’s Program

84% Women
63% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
Of the 622 students who earned a master's degree in Social Work from Hunter in 2020-2021, 16% were men and 84% were women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 12% men graduate in social work each year. Hunter does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 4% more men than average.


In the social work master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 63% of degree recipients. That is 18% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Hunter College with a master's in social work.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 37
Black or African American 165
Hispanic or Latino 173
White 224
International Students 7
Other Races/Ethnicities 16

Hunter also has a doctoral program available in social work. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Social Work Grads May Go Into

A degree in social work can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Hunter College.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Child, Family, and School Social Workers 28,530 $58,050
Healthcare Social Workers 13,290 $62,280
Social and Community Service Managers 13,110 $86,700
Substance Abuse Social Workers 11,470 $62,130
Social Workers 5,790 $67,120


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.