Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Special Education at Hunter College

Find Schools Near

Special Education at Hunter College

If you plan to study special education, take a look at what Hunter College has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

Hunter is located in New York, New York and has a total student population of 24,052.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Special Education section at the bottom of this page.

Hunter Special Education Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Special Ed

Hunter Special Education Rankings

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

In 2021, 320 students received their master’s degree in special ed from Hunter. This makes it the #9 most popular school for special ed master’s degree candidates in the country.

Special Ed Student Demographics at Hunter

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the special ed majors at Hunter College.

Hunter Special Education Master’s Program

80% Women
53% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 320 students earned a master's degree in special ed from Hunter. About 80% of these graduates were women and the other 20% were men. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 13% men graduate in special ed each year. Hunter does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 7% more men than average.


In the special ed master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 53% of degree recipients. That is 25% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Hunter College with a master's in special ed.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 20
Black or African American 75
Hispanic or Latino 69
White 147
International Students 4
Other Races/Ethnicities 5

Hunter also has a doctoral program available in special ed. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Special Ed Grads May Go Into

A degree in special ed can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Hunter College.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Kindergarten or Elementary School Special Education Teachers 18,790 $77,840
Special Education Professors 17,420 $86,330
Middle School Special Education Teachers 10,970 $83,050
Special Education Preschool Teachers 4,860 $83,010
Interpreters and Translators 3,300 $68,940


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.