Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Special Education at The City College of New York

Find Schools Near

Special Education at The City College of New York

What traits are you looking for in a special ed school? To help you decide if The City College of New York is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's special ed program.

CCNY is located in New York, New York and approximately 15,227 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Special Education section at the bottom of this page.

CCNY Special Education Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Special Ed

Online Classes Are Available at CCNY

If you are a working student or have a busy schedule, you may want to consider taking online classes. While these classes used to be mostly populated by returning adults, more and more traditional students are turning to this option.

Are you one of the many who prefer to take online classes? CCNY offers distance education options for special ed at the following degree levels:

CCNY Special Education Rankings

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

In 2021, 118 students received their master’s degree in special ed from CCNY. This makes it the #26 most popular school for special ed master’s degree candidates in the country.

Special Ed Student Demographics at CCNY

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the special ed majors at The City College of New York.

CCNY Special Education Master’s Program

69% Women
64% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The special ed program at CCNY awarded 118 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 31% of these degrees went to men with the other 69% going to women. Nationwide, master's degree programs only see 13% men graduate in special ed each year. CCNY does a better job at serving the male population as it supports 19% more men than average.


In the special ed master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 64% of degree recipients. That is 36% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from The City College of New York with a master's in special ed.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 6
Black or African American 24
Hispanic or Latino 45
White 40
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

CCNY also has a doctoral program available in special ed. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Special Ed Grads May Go Into

A degree in special ed can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for The City College of New York.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Kindergarten or Elementary School Special Education Teachers 18,790 $77,840
Special Education Professors 17,420 $86,330
Middle School Special Education Teachers 10,970 $83,050
Special Education Preschool Teachers 4,860 $83,010
Interpreters and Translators 3,300 $68,940


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.