Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Social Work at Columbia University in the City of New York

Find Schools Near

Social Work at Columbia University in the City of New York

What traits are you looking for in a social work school? To help you decide if Columbia University in the City of New York is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's social work program.

Columbia is located in New York, New York and has a total student population of 30,135.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Social Work section at the bottom of this page.

Columbia Social Work Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Social Work
  • Doctorate Degree in Social Work

Columbia Social Work Rankings

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

There were 6 students who received their doctoral degrees in social work, making the school the #18 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Social Work Student Demographics at Columbia

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the social work majors at Columbia University in the City of New York.

Columbia Social Work Master’s Program

88% Women
48% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The social work program at Columbia awarded 487 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 12% of these degrees went to men with the other 88% going to women.


In the social work master's program at this school, racial-ethnic minorities make up 48% of degree recipients. That is 4% better than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Columbia University in the City of New York with a master's in social work.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 58
Black or African American 67
Hispanic or Latino 83
White 173
International Students 64
Other Races/Ethnicities 42

Careers That Social Work Grads May Go Into

A degree in social work can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Columbia University in the City of New York.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
Child, Family, and School Social Workers 28,530 $58,050
Healthcare Social Workers 13,290 $62,280
Social and Community Service Managers 13,110 $86,700
Substance Abuse Social Workers 11,470 $62,130
Social Workers 5,790 $67,120


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.