Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at Carnegie Mellon University

Find Schools Near

Music at Carnegie Mellon University

Every music school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the music program at Carnegie Mellon University stacks up to those at other schools.

Carnegie Mellon is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and has a total student population of 14,180. Of the 1,848 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Carnegie Mellon University in 2019, 28 of them were music majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

Carnegie Mellon Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music
  • Master’s Degree in Music

Carnegie Mellon Music Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks music programs across the country. The following shows how Carnegie Mellon performed in these rankings.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at Carnegie Mellon is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Music Master’s Degree Schools 17
Most Popular Music Master’s Degree Schools 33
Most Focused Music Master’s Degree Schools 63
Most Popular Music Bachelor’s Degree Schools 144
Best Value Music Schools 280

In 2019, 43 students received their master’s degree in music from Carnegie Mellon. This makes it the #33 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

Music Student Demographics at Carnegie Mellon

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at Carnegie Mellon University.

Carnegie Mellon Music Bachelor’s Program

39% Women
32% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
Of the 28 music students who graduated with a bachelor's degree in 2018-2019 from Carnegie Mellon, about 61% were men and 39% were women.

Carnegie Mellon Gender Breakdown of Music Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 68% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in music at Carnegie Mellon are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level. Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 5% more racial-ethnic minorities in its music bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a bachelor's in music.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Music Majors at Carnegie Mellon University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 19
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

Carnegie Mellon Music Master’s Program

30% Women
12% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The music program at Carnegie Mellon awarded 43 master's degrees in 2018-2019. About 70% of these degrees went to men with the other 30% going to women.

Carnegie Mellon Gender Breakdown of Music Master's Degree Grads

Of the students who received a music master's degree from Carnegie Mellon, 53% were white. This is typical for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a master's in music.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Music Majors at Carnegie Mellon University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 3
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 23
International Students 15
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Carnegie Mellon also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2019, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for Carnegie Mellon University.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
High School Teachers 50,460 $64,830
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 5,050 $80,740
Music Directors and Composers 400 $46,010
Sound Engineering Technicians 190 $45,540

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.