Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

History at Boston College

Find Schools Near

History at Boston College

If you are interested in studying history, you may want to check out the program at Boston College. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Boston College is located in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts and approximately 14,934 students attend the school each year. Of the 3,208 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Boston College in 2021, 81 of them were history majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in History section at the bottom of this page.

Boston College History Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in History
  • Master’s Degree in History
  • Doctorate Degree in History

Boston College History Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the history progam at Boston College compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The history major at Boston College is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for History. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best History Master’s Degree Schools 23
Best Value History Schools 256
Best Value History Bachelor’s Degree Schools 269

In 2021, 5 students received their master’s degree in history from Boston College. This makes it the #181 most popular school for history master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 5 students who received their doctoral degrees in history, making the school the #47 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

History Student Demographics at Boston College

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the history majors at Boston College.

Boston College History Bachelor’s Program

33% Women
17% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
Of the 81 students who earned a bachelor's degree in History from Boston College in 2020-2021, 67% were men and 33% were women.


About 67% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in history at Boston College are white. This is typical for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Boston College with a bachelor's in history.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 54
International Students 4
Other Races/Ethnicities 10

Boston College History Master’s Program

40% Women
20% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 5 students earned a master's degree in history from Boston College. About 40% of these graduates were women and the other 60% were men.


Of the students who received a history master's degree from Boston College, 60% were white. This is below average for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Boston College with a master's in history.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 3
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

Boston College also has a doctoral program available in history. In 2021, 5 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Concentrations Within History

History majors may want to concentrate their studies in one of these areas. The table shows all degrees awarded in this field awarded for all degree levels at Boston College. A concentration may not be available for your level.

Concentration Annual Degrees Awarded
History 91

Careers That History Grads May Go Into

A degree in history can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for MA, the home state for Boston College.

Occupation Jobs in MA Average Salary in MA
High School Teachers 26,420 $80,020
Managers 8,660 $131,450
History Professors 1,030 $97,350
Museum Technicians and Conservators 580 $56,100
Curators 520 $68,240


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.