All About Tax Preparers
Tax Preparer Example Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
List of Tax Preparer Job Duties
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Explain federal and state tax laws to individuals and companies.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
Tax Preparer Needed Skills
Tax Preparers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Types of Tax Preparer
- Income Tax Advisor
- Income Tax Consultant
- Master Tax Advisor
- Tax Manager
- Tax Associate
Is There Going to be Demand for Tax Preparers?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 95,900 jobs in the United States for Tax Preparer. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.7% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 10,300 new jobs for Tax Preparer by 2026. There will be an estimated 11,500 positions for Tax Preparer per year.
The states with the most job growth for Tax Preparer are Tennessee, Utah, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Missouri, or Wyoming. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Tax Preparers Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Tax Preparers ranges between about $20,550 and $81,720 a year.
Tax Preparers who work in New York, Massachusetts, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Tax Preparers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$97,070|
What Tools do Tax Preparers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Tax Preparers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Sage 50 Accounting
- Tax software
- Intuit Quicken
- ATX Total Accounting Office
- Web page creation and editing software
- Laserfiche Avante
- Universal Tax Systems TaxWise
- Intuit ProSeries
- CCH ProSystem fx TAX
- ATX Total Tax Office
- Sync Essentials Trade Accountant
How to Become a Tax Preparer
What education is needed to be a Tax Preparer?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Tax Preparer?
Tax Preparers Sector
The table below shows the approximate number of Tax Preparers employed by various industries.
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those thinking about becoming a Tax Preparer might also be interested in the following careers:
Those who work as a Tax Preparer sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|