What You Need to Know About Paper Goods Machine Setter, Operator, or Tender
Career Description Set up, operate, or tend paper goods machines that perform a variety of functions, such as converting, sawing, corrugating, banding, wrapping, boxing, stitching, forming, or sealing paper or paperboard sheets into products.
List of Paper Goods Machine Operator Job Duties
- Fill glue and paraffin reservoirs, and position rollers to dispense glue onto paperboard.
- Start machines and move controls to regulate tension on pressure rolls, to synchronize speed of machine components, and to adjust temperatures of glue or paraffin.
- Disassemble machines to maintain, repair, or replace broken or worn parts, using hand or power tools.
- Install attachments to machines for gluing, folding, printing, or cutting.
- Observe operation of various machines to detect and correct machine malfunctions such as improper forming, glue flow, or pasteboard tension.
- Place rolls of paper or cardboard on machine feed tracks, and thread paper through gluing, coating, and slitting rollers.
What Every Paper Goods Machine Operator Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders say are important on the job.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Quality Control Analysis: Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Platen Press Operator
- Paper Roll Machine Operator
- Bag Presser
- Paper Feeder
- Folding Machine Operator
Job Demand for Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
There were about 94,600 jobs for Paper Goods Machine Setter, Operator, or Tender in 2016 (in the United States). There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Paper Goods Machine Setter, Operator, or Tender. The BLS estimates 8,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Paper Goods Machine Operator are Nevada, Idaho, and Texas. Watch out if you plan on working in Massachusetts, Kansas, or Colorado. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Paper Goods Machine Operator
The average yearly salary of a Paper Goods Machine Operator ranges between $23,820 and $60,790.
Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders who work in South Carolina, Oklahoma, or Oregon, make the highest salaries.
How much do Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools & Technology do Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
Becoming a Paper Goods Machine Operator
Are there Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders education requirements?
What work experience do I need to become a Paper Goods Machine Operator?
Where Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders Are Employed
Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders work in the following industries:
Those interested in being a Paper Goods Machine Setter, Operator, or Tender may also be interested in:
Are you already one of the many Paper Goods Machine Setter, Operator, or Tender in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|