What You Need to Know About Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Position Description Perform complex medical laboratory tests for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May train or supervise staff.
What Do Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Conduct medical research under direction of microbiologist or biochemist.
- Operate, calibrate, or maintain equipment used in quantitative or qualitative analysis, such as spectrophotometers, calorimeters, flame photometers, or computer-controlled analyzers.
- Analyze laboratory findings to check the accuracy of the results.
- Analyze samples of biological material for chemical content or reaction.
- Develop, standardize, evaluate, or modify procedures, techniques, or tests used in the analysis of specimens or in medical laboratory experiments.
- Provide technical information about test results to physicians, family members, or researchers.
Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist Needed Skills
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist Jobs
- Differential Specialist
- Medical Chief Technician
- Histologist Technologist
- Medical Technologist (MT)
Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist Employment Estimates
In the United States, there were 171,400 jobs for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 19,800 new jobs for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologist by 2026. The BLS estimates 12,900 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist are Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Connecticut, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Tools & Technologies Used by Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Spreadsheet software
- Database software
- FileMaker Pro
- MEDITECH software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- Laboratory information system LIS
- Microscopic image capturing software
- Quality control software
- Medical software
- Medical digital imaging software
- Hematology laboratory workflow management software
- Commercial plate reader software
Becoming a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Learn what Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologist education requirements there are.
What work experience do I need to become a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologist?
Those who work as a Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologist sometimes switch careers to one of these choices:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|