What You Need to Know About Fisher and Related Fishing Worker
Career Description Use nets, fishing rods, traps, or other equipment to catch and gather fish or other aquatic animals from rivers, lakes, or oceans, for human consumption or other uses. May haul game onto ship.
What Do Fishers and Related Fishing Workers Do On a Daily Basis?
- Maintain engines, fishing gear, and other on-board equipment and perform minor repairs.
- Club or gaff large fish to enable hauling them into fishing vessel.
- Plan fishing operations, establishing the fish to be sought, the fishing location, the method of capture, and the duration of the trip.
- Oversee the purchase of supplies, gear, and equipment such as fuel, netting, and cables.
- Pull and guide nets, traps, and lines onto vessels, by hand or using hoisting equipment.
- Put fishing equipment into the water and anchor or tow equipment, according to the fishing method used.
What Every Fisher & Related Fishing Worker Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Fishers and Related Fishing Workers say are important on the job.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Types of Fisher & Related Fishing Worker Jobs
- Line Fisher
- Commercial Shrimping Captain
- Hooker On
- Tuna Purse Seiner
- Albacore Fishing Boat Crewman
What Tools do Fishers and Related Fishing Workers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Fishers and Related Fishing Workers:
Becoming a Fisher & Related Fishing Worker
Are there Fishers and Related Fishing Workers education requirements?
What work experience do I need to become a Fisher & Related Fishing Worker?
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those thinking about becoming a Fisher and Related Fishing Worker might also be interested in the following careers:
Image Credit: Ootahara via Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|