What Does it Take to Be an Automotive Body Repairer?
Automotive Body Repairer Example Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames.
Life As an Automotive Body Repairer
- Cut openings in vehicle bodies for the installation of customized windows, using templates and power shears or chisels.
- Remove small pits and dimples in body metal, using pick hammers and punches.
- Read specifications or confer with customers to determine the desired custom modifications for altering the appearance of vehicles.
- Follow supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore or replace and how much time the job should take.
- Apply heat to plastic panels, using hot-air welding guns or immersion in hot water, and press the softened panels back into shape by hand.
- Soak fiberglass matting in resin mixtures and apply layers of matting over repair areas to specified thicknesses.
Automotive Body Repairer Needed Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Automotive Body Repairers say are important on the job.
Repairing: Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Types of Automotive Body Repairer
- Painter and Body Work
- Automotive Painter
- Fiberglass Autobody Repairer
- Body Builder Apprentice
Job Demand for Automotive Body Repairers
There were about 160,400 jobs for Automotive Body Repairer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.5% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 13,700 new jobs for Automotive Body Repairer by 2026. The BLS estimates 17,100 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Automotive Body Repairer are Utah, Washington, and Idaho. Watch out if you plan on working in Kansas, Maine, or Wisconsin. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Automotive Body Repairer Average Salary
The salary for Automotive Body Repairers ranges between about $25,960 and $71,970 a year.
Automotive Body Repairers who work in Alaska, Hawaii, or Massachusetts, make the highest salaries.
How much do Automotive Body Repairers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$45,800|
What Tools & Technology do Automotive Body Repairers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Automotive Body Repairers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Windows
- Appointment scheduling software
- Inventory management software
- Accounting software
- Palm OS
- Accounts receivable software
- Materials management software
- AutoZone ALLDATA
Becoming an Automotive Body Repairer
Learn what Automotive Body Repairer education requirements there are.
What work experience do I need to become an Automotive Body Repairer?
Where Automotive Body Repairers Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those thinking about becoming an Automotive Body Repairer might also be interested in the following careers:
Career changers with experience as an Automotive Body Repairer sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
- Rail Car Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
Image Credit: Airman 1st Class Nigel Sandridge via Public domain
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|