What Do Civil Drafter Do?
Example of Civil Drafter Job Prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
What Do Civil Drafters Do On a Daily Basis?
- Supervise and train other technologists, technicians, and drafters.
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections, or technical investigations to obtain data required to revise construction drawings.
- Finish and duplicate drawings and documentation packages according to required mediums and specifications for reproduction, using blueprinting, photography, or other duplicating methods.
- Correlate, interpret, and modify data obtained from topographical surveys, well logs, and geophysical prospecting reports.
- Locate and identify symbols on topographical surveys to denote geological and geophysical formations or oil field installations.
- Explain drawings to production or construction teams and provide adjustments as necessary.
What Every Civil Drafter Should Know
Below is a list of the skills most Civil Drafters say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Types of Civil Drafter Jobs
- Civil Designer
- Civil Drafter
- Geological Drafter
- Computer-Aided Design Operator (CAD Operator)
- Computer-Aided Design Technician (CAD Technician)
What Kind of Civil Drafter Job Opportunities Are There?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 99,600 jobs in the United States for Civil Drafter. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.1% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 8,100 new jobs for Civil Drafter by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 9,500 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Civil Drafter are Utah, Nevada, and Florida. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, West Virginia, or Maine. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Civil Drafter
Civil Drafters make between $35,020 and $80,880 a year.
Civil Drafters who work in District of Columbia, Illinois, or California, make the highest salaries.
How much do Civil Drafters make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$68,330|
Tools & Technologies Used by Civil Drafters
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Civil Drafters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Extensible markup language XML
- Bentley Microstation
- PTC Creo Parametric
- ESRI ArcView
- Autodesk Revit
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Geomechanical design analysis GDA software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- ESRI ArcGIS software
How to Become a Civil Drafter
What kind of Civil Drafter requirements are there?
What work experience do I need to become a Civil Drafter?
Who Employs Civil Drafters?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those interested in being a Civil Drafter may also be interested in:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|