General Philosophy & Religion
Types of Degrees General Philosophy & Religion Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many philosophy and religious studies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Philosophy & Religion Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to philosophy and religion and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Philosophy & Religion Majors
Philosophy and Religion majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
Skills for Philosophy & Religion Majors
A major in philosophy and religion prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Philosophy & Religion Majors
As you progress with your philosophy and religion degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
What Can You Do With a General Philosophy & Religion Major?
People with a philosophy and religion degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Philosophy and Religion Professors||12.3%||$71,890|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Philosophy & Religion?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of philosophy and religion majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||8|
|Hispanic or Latino||17|
Philosophy & Religion appeals to people across the globe. About 2.4% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do General Philosophy & Religion Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to philosophy and religion is $82,420. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Philosophy & Religion
Some careers associated with philosophy and religion require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for philosophy and religion careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||0.6%|
Online General Philosophy & Religion Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 61 schools offered some type of philosophy and religious studies program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||2||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||2||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||2||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||5||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Philosophy & Religion Worth It?
The median salary for a philosophy and religion grad is $82,420 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 107% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $850,400 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for General Philosophy & Religion
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to General Philosophy & Religion
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to philosophy and religion.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Philosophy & Religious Studies||311|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Fyodor Bronnikov under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|