Types of Degrees Recreation Administration Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many recreation administration graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Recreation Administration Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to recreation admin were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Recreation Admin Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
Skills for Recreation Admin Majors
A major in recreation admin prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Abilities for Recreation Admin Majors
As you progress with your recreation admin degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Recreation Administration Major?
People with a recreation admin degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers||11.4%||$48,220|
|General and Operations Managers||9.1%||$100,930|
|Regulatory Affairs Managers||8.0%||$107,480|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Administration?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of recreation admin majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||378|
|Hispanic or Latino||331|
Students from other countries are interested in Recreation Admin, too. About 1.4% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
How Much Do Recreation Administration Majors Make?
Bachelor’s Degree Starting Salary
The U.S. Department of Education found that students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a bachelor’s degree in recreation administration made a median starting salary of $29,800 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $26,900 (25th percentile) and $32,100 (75th percentile).
It is possible that some of these people may have taken positions that were not related to recreation admin.
Salaries According to BLS
Recreation Admin majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $51,280 to $123,880 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Recreation Administration
Some degrees associated with recreation admin may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to recreation admin have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||8.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||9.0%|
|Some College Courses||9.3%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||10.4%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||9.1%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||2.3%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||0.8%|
Online Recreation Administration Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 169 schools offered some type of recreation administration program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||20||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||17||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||2||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||6||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Recreation Administration Worth It?
The median salary for a recreation admin grad is $115,590 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 190% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,513,800 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for Recreation Administration
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Recreation Administration
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to recreation admin.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Health & Physical Education||64,271|
|Parks, Recreation & Leisure Studies||3,561|
|Other Parks, Recreation & Leisure Studies||227|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Glen Santy under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|