Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Ethnic Studies at University of Pennsylvania

Find Schools Near

Ethnic Studies at University of Pennsylvania

If you plan to study ethnic studies, take a look at what University of Pennsylvania has to offer and decide if the program is a good match for you. Get started with the following essential facts.

UPenn is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and approximately 26,552 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 15 ethnic studies majors received their bachelor's degree from UPenn.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Ethnic Studies section at the bottom of this page.

UPenn Ethnic Studies Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Ethnic Studies
  • Doctorate Degree in Ethnic Studies

UPenn Ethnic Studies Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the ethnic studies progam at UPenn compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The ethnic studies major at UPenn is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Ethnic Studies. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Ethnic Studies Doctor’s Degree Schools 14
Most Popular Ethnic Studies Master’s Degree Schools 80

In 2021, 0 student received their master’s degree in ethnic studies from UPenn. This is the #80 most popular school for ethnic studies master’s degree candidates in the country.

Ethnic Studies Student Demographics at UPenn

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the ethnic studies majors at University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Ethnic Studies Bachelor’s Program

73% Women
60% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 15 students earned a bachelor's degree in ethnic studies from UPenn. About 73% of these graduates were women and the other 27% were men. The typical ethnic studies bachelor's degree program is made up of only 18% men. So male students are more repesented at UPenn since its program graduates 8% more men than average.


Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 3% more racial-ethnic minorities in its ethnic studies bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor's in ethnic studies.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 6
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

UPenn also has a doctoral program available in ethnic studies. In 2021, 2 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Ethnic Studies Grads May Go Into

A degree in ethnic studies can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for PA, the home state for University of Pennsylvania.

Occupation Jobs in PA Average Salary in PA
Interpreters and Translators 750 $50,100
Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Professors 440 $93,440


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.