Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

History at SUNY New Paltz

Find Schools Near

History at SUNY New Paltz

If you are interested in studying history, you may want to check out the program at SUNY New Paltz. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

SUNY New Paltz is located in New Paltz, New York and approximately 7,489 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 57 history majors received their bachelor's degree from SUNY New Paltz.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in History section at the bottom of this page.

SUNY New Paltz History Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in History

SUNY New Paltz History Rankings

The following rankings from College Factual show how the history progam at SUNY New Paltz compares to programs at other colleges and universities.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The history major at SUNY New Paltz is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for History. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular History Schools 137
Best Value History Bachelor’s Degree Schools 173
Best Value History Schools 178

Earnings of SUNY New Paltz History Graduates

The median salary of history students who receive their bachelor's degree at SUNY New Paltz is $23,799. This is less than $28,881, which is the national average of all history majors in the nation who earn bachelor's degrees.


History Student Demographics at SUNY New Paltz

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the history majors at SUNY New Paltz.

SUNY New Paltz History Bachelor’s Program

49% Women
23% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The history program at SUNY New Paltz awarded 57 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 51% of these degrees went to men with the other 49% going to women. The typical history bachelor's degree program is made up of only 43% women. So female students are more repesented at SUNY New Paltz since its program graduates 6% more women than average.


About 77% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in history at SUNY New Paltz are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from SUNY New Paltz with a bachelor's in history.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 9
White 44
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

SUNY New Paltz also has a doctoral program available in history. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That History Grads May Go Into

A degree in history can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for SUNY New Paltz.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Managers 16,600 $124,160
History Professors 2,050 $93,000
Curators 1,570 $73,850
Museum Technicians and Conservators 1,490 $56,040


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.