Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Economics at George Washington University

Find Schools Near

Economics at George Washington University

What traits are you looking for in a economics school? To help you decide if George Washington University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's economics program.

GWU is located in Washington, District of Columbia and approximately 27,017 students attend the school each year. In 2021, 174 economics majors received their bachelor's degree from GWU.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Economics section at the bottom of this page.

GWU Economics Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Economics
  • Master’s Degree in Economics
  • Doctorate Degree in Economics

GWU Economics Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks economics programs across the country. The following shows how GWU performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The economics major at GWU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Economics. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Focused Economics Graduate Certificate Schools 30
Best Economics Bachelor’s Degree Schools 107
Best Value Economics Schools 374
Best Value Economics Bachelor’s Degree Schools 420

In 2021, 69 students received their master’s degree in economics from GWU. This makes it the #15 most popular school for economics master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 10 students who received their doctoral degrees in economics, making the school the #42 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Economics Graduates from GWU Make?

The median salary of economics students who receive their bachelor's degree at GWU is $57,078. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is 24% higher than the national average of $45,868 for all economics bachelor's degree recipients.


Economics Student Demographics at GWU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the economics majors at George Washington University.

GWU Economics Bachelor’s Program

52% Women
28% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
During the 2020-2021 academic year, 174 economics majors earned their bachelor's degree from GWU. Of these graduates, 48% were men and 52% were women. The typical economics bachelor's degree program is made up of only 36% women. So female students are more repesented at GWU since its program graduates 15% more women than average.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's in economics.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 21
Black or African American 8
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 82
International Students 40
Other Races/Ethnicities 12

GWU Economics Master’s Program

49% Women
9% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 69 students earned a master's degree in economics from GWU. About 49% of these graduates were women and the other 51% were men.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from George Washington University with a master's in economics.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 22
International Students 39
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

GWU also has a doctoral program available in economics. In 2021, 10 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Economics Grads May Go Into

A degree in economics can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for George Washington University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Managers 19,910 $147,460
Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists 6,930 $79,770
Economists 6,380 $134,260
Economics Professors 230 $110,350
Survey Researchers 180 $73,690


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.