Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Music at Cornell University

Find Schools Near

Music at Cornell University

If you are interested in studying music, you may want to check out the program at Cornell University. The following information will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Cornell is located in Ithaca, New York and approximately 24,027 students attend the school each year. In 2019, 7 music majors received their bachelor's degree from Cornell.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Music section at the bottom of this page.

Cornell Music Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Music
  • Master’s Degree in Music
  • Doctorate Degree in Music

Cornell Music Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks music programs across the country. The following shows how Cornell performed in these rankings.

Note: Although rankings can help you see some information about a school, it's not a good idea to depend on them alone. Be sure to check out other things about the school before making your decision to attend.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The music major at Cornell is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Music. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Music Bachelor’s Degree Schools 2

In 2019, 2 students received their master’s degree in music from Cornell. This makes it the #271 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

There were 8 students who received their doctoral degrees in music, making the school the #52 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Music Student Demographics at Cornell

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at Cornell University.

Cornell Music Bachelor’s Program

14% Women
29% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The music program at Cornell awarded 7 bachelor's degrees in 2018-2019. About 86% of these degrees went to men with the other 14% going to women.

Cornell Gender Breakdown of Music Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 71% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in music at Cornell are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Cornell University with a bachelor's in music.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Music Majors at Cornell University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 5
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Cornell Music Master’s Program

During the 2018-2019 academic year, 2 students graduated with a master's degree in music from Cornell. About 100% were men and 0% were women.

Cornell Gender Breakdown of Music Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Cornell University with a master's in music.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Music Majors at Cornell University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 0
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Cornell also has a doctoral program available in music. In 2019, 8 students graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Music Grads May Go Into

A degree in music can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for NY, the home state for Cornell University.

Occupation Jobs in NY Average Salary in NY
High School Teachers 74,830 $85,300
Art, Drama, and Music Professors 11,530 $99,870
Music Directors and Composers 2,780 $66,120
Sound Engineering Technicians 1,770 $82,030

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.