Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Public Policy at American University

Find Schools Near

Public Policy at American University

Every public policy school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the public policy program at American University stacks up to those at other schools.

The American University is located in Washington, District of Columbia and approximately 14,001 students attend the school each year.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Public Policy section at the bottom of this page.

The American University Public Policy Degrees Available

  • Master’s Degree in Public Policy

The American University Public Policy Rankings

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Public Policy Student Demographics at The American University

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the public policy majors at American University.

The American University Public Policy Master’s Program

64% Women
23% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 47 students earned a master's degree in public policy from The American University. About 64% of these graduates were women and the other 36% were men.


Of the students who received a public policy master's degree from The American University, 51% were white. This is typical for this degree on the natiowide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a master's in public policy.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 24
International Students 5
Other Races/Ethnicities 10

Careers That Public Policy Grads May Go Into

A degree in public policy can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for American University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Political Scientists 3,220 $120,610
Social Scientists 2,690 $102,300
Medical and Health Services Managers 1,580 $145,760
Political Science Professors 1,160 $127,410


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.