Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Area Studies at American University

Find Schools Near

Area Studies at American University

What traits are you looking for in a area studies school? To help you decide if American University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's area studies program.

The American University is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 14,001. In the 2020-2021 academic year, 25 students received a bachelor's degree in area studies from The American University.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Area Studies section at the bottom of this page.

The American University Area Studies Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Area Studies

The American University Area Studies Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks area studies programs across the country. The following shows how The American University performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The area studies major at The American University is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Area Studies. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Area Studies Basic Certificate Schools 24

In 2021, 0 student received their master’s degree in area studies from The American University. This is the #100 most popular school for area studies master’s degree candidates in the country.

Area Studies Student Demographics at The American University

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the area studies majors at American University.

The American University Area Studies Bachelor’s Program

76% Women
36% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The area studies program at The American University awarded 25 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 24% of these degrees went to men with the other 76% going to women.


About 60% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in area studies at The American University are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a bachelor's in area studies.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 3
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 4
White 15
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 1

The American University also has a doctoral program available in area studies. In 2021, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That Area Studies Grads May Go Into

A degree in area studies can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for American University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.