Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Teaching English or French at American University

Find Schools Near

Teaching English or French at American University

Every teaching English or French school has its own distinct culture and strengths. We've pulled together some statistics and other details to help you see how the English or French program at American University stacks up to those at other schools.

The American University is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 14,001.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Teaching English or French section at the bottom of this page.

The American University Teaching English or French Degrees Available

  • Basic Certificate in English or French (Less Than 1 Year)
  • Master’s Degree in English or French

The American University Teaching English or French Rankings

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

English or French Student Demographics at The American University

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the English or French majors at American University.

The American University Teaching English or French Master’s Program

93% Women
7% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The English or French program at The American University awarded 15 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 7% of these degrees went to men with the other 93% going to women.


The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a master's in English or French.

Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 5
International Students 9
Other Races/Ethnicities 0

Careers That English or French Grads May Go Into

A degree in English or French can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for American University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
High School Teachers 3,850 $65,180
Elementary School Teachers 3,260 $79,480
Middle School Teachers 710 $74,410
Kindergarten Teachers 80 $54,940


*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited colleges across the U.S.