All About Segmental Pavers
Segmental Paver Example Lay out, cut, and place segmental paving units. Includes installers of bedding and restraining materials for the paving units.
Life As a Segmental Paver: What Do They Do?
- Supply and place base materials, edge restraints, bedding sand and jointing sand.
- Prepare base for installation by removing unstable or unsuitable materials, compacting and grading the soil, draining or stabilizing weak or saturated soils and taking measures to prevent water penetration and migration of bedding sand.
- Sweep sand into the joints and compact pavement until the joints are full.
- Resurface an outside area with cobblestones, terracotta tiles, concrete or other materials.
- Set pavers, aligning and spacing them correctly.
- Design paver installation layout pattern and create markings for directional references of joints and stringlines.
Skills Needed to be a Segmental Paver
Below is a list of the skills most Segmental Pavers say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Types of Segmental Paver Jobs
- Concrete Paver
- Paver Layer
- Asphalt Paving Worker
- Slab Installer
- Interlocking Concrete Pavement Installer
Job Demand for Segmental Pavers
There were about 2,100 jobs for Segmental Paver in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 300 new jobs for Segmental Paver by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 300 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Segmental Paver are Florida and Texas. Watch out if you plan on working in Texas or Florida. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Tools & Technologies Used by Segmental Pavers
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Segmental Pavers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
Becoming a Segmental Paver
Individuals working as a Segmental Paver have obtained the following education levels:
What work experience do I need to become a Segmental Paver?
Those interested in being a Segmental Paver may also be interested in:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|