What Does it Take to Be a Search Marketing Strategist?
Job Description & Duties Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
What Do Search Marketing Strategists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Propose online or multiple-sales-channel campaigns to marketing executives.
- Communicate and collaborate with merchants, Webmasters, bloggers, or online editors to strategically place hyperlinks.
- Conduct market research analysis to identify search query trends, real-time search and news media activity, popular social media topics, electronic commerce trends, market opportunities, or competitor performance.
- Prepare electronic commerce designs or prototypes, such as storyboards, mock-ups, or other content, using graphics design software.
- Evaluate new emerging media or technologies and make recommendations for their application within Internet marketing or search marketing campaigns.
- Coordinate sales or other promotional strategies with merchandising, operations, or inventory control staff to ensure product catalogs are current, accurate, and organized for best findability against user intent.
Qualities of a Search Marketing Strategist
When polled, Search Marketing Strategists say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Other Search Marketing Strategist Job Titles
- Paid Search Marketing Strategist
- Internet eCommerce Specialist
- Search Consultant
- Search Engineer Marketing Specialist
- Web User Experience Strategist
What Kind of Search Marketing Strategist Job Opportunities Are There?
There were about 287,200 jobs for Search Marketing Strategist in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 26,600 new jobs for Search Marketing Strategist by 2026. The BLS estimates 22,400 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Search Marketing Strategist are Washington, Utah, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maryland, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Search Marketing Strategist Salary
The typical yearly salary for Search Marketing Strategists is somewhere between $47,350 and $144,820.
Search Marketing Strategists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or New Hampshire, make the highest salaries.
How much do Search Marketing Strategists make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$117,540|
Tools & Technologies Used by Search Marketing Strategists
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Search Marketing Strategists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
How to Become a Search Marketing Strategist
What education or degrees do I need to become a Search Marketing Strategist?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Search Marketing Strategist?
Where Search Marketing Strategists Work
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|