All About Ophthalmologists
Occupation Description Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries of the eyes and related structures.
Daily Life Of an Ophthalmologist
- Provide or direct the provision of postoperative care.
- Prescribe corrective lenses such as glasses or contact lenses.
- Perform ophthalmic surgeries such as cataract, glaucoma, refractive, corneal, vitro-retinal, eye muscle, or oculoplastic surgeries.
- Develop treatment plans based on patients' histories and goals, the nature and severity of disorders, and treatment risks and benefits.
- Educate patients about maintenance and promotion of healthy vision.
- Perform laser surgeries to alter, remove, reshape, or replace ocular tissue.
What an Ophthalmologist Should Know
These are the skills Ophthalmologists say are the most useful in their careers:
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Types of Ophthalmologist Jobs
- Ophthalmologist, Medical Director, President
- Comprehensive Ophthalmologist
- Vitreo-Retinal Surgeon
- Director, Emergency Ophthalmology Services
Job Opportunities for Ophthalmologists
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 372,400 jobs in the United States for Ophthalmologist. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 42,300 new jobs for Ophthalmologist by 2026. There will be an estimated 14,300 positions for Ophthalmologist per year.
The states with the most job growth for Ophthalmologist are Arizona, Alaska, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Ophthalmologist Average Salary
The typical yearly salary for Ophthalmologists is somewhere between $60,280 and $208,000.
Ophthalmologists who work in Alaska, Arizona, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Ophthalmologists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$182,910|
What Tools do Ophthalmologists Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Ophthalmologists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Email software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- GalacTek ECLIPSE
- Automatic Data Processing AdvancedMD EHR
- Cerner PowerWorks Practice Management
- Epic Practice Management
- GE Healthcare Centricity Practice Solution
- CareCloud Central
- Benchmark Systems Benchmark Clinical EHR
- Allscripts PM
- IOS Health Systems Medios EHR
- Kareo Practice Management
- McKesson Practice Plus
- Modernizing Medicine Practice Management
- NextGen Healthcare NextGen Practice Management
- Vitera Healthcare Solutions Vitera Intergy
- WRSHealth EMR
Becoming an Ophthalmologist
What kind of Ophthalmologist requirements are there?
What work experience do I need to become an Ophthalmologist?
Where Ophthalmologists Are Employed
The table below shows the approximate number of Ophthalmologists employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|