What You Need to Know About Mechanical Drafter
Example of Mechanical Drafter Job Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
Daily Life Of a Mechanical Drafter
- Lay out, draw, and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Confer with customer representatives to review schematics and answer questions pertaining to installation of systems.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Design scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
Mechanical Drafter Required Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Mechanical Drafters say are important on the job.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Related Job Titles
- Autocad Designer
- CAD Operator (Computer Aided Design Operator)
- Mechanical Designer
- Aeronautical Drafter
- Mechanical Drafter
Mechanical Drafter Employment Estimates
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 64,800 jobs in the United States for Mechanical Drafter. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,400 new jobs for Mechanical Drafter by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 5,900 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Mechanical Drafter are Nevada, Connecticut, and Wyoming. Watch out if you plan on working in Washington, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Mechanical Drafters Make A Lot Of Money?
The average yearly salary of a Mechanical Drafter ranges between $35,720 and $88,280.
Mechanical Drafters who work in Washington, New Mexico, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Mechanical Drafters in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$50,500|
What Tools & Technology do Mechanical Drafters Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Mechanical Drafters:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Extensible markup language XML
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Bentley Microstation
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Autodesk Revit
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Computer aided design and drafting CADD software
- Document management system software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
Becoming a Mechanical Drafter
What education is needed to be a Mechanical Drafter?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Mechanical Drafter?
Who Employs Mechanical Drafters?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|