What Do Marine Architect Do?
Job Description: Design and oversee construction and repair of marine craft and floating structures such as ships, barges, tugs, dredges, submarines, torpedoes, floats, and buoys. May confer with marine engineers.
Marine Architect Responsibilities
- Study design proposals and specifications to establish basic characteristics of craft, such as size, weight, speed, propulsion, displacement, and draft.
- Evaluate performance of craft during dock and sea trials to determine design changes and conformance with national and international standards.
- Design layout of craft interior, including cargo space, passenger compartments, ladder wells, and elevators.
- Oversee construction and testing of prototype in model basin and develop sectional and waterline curves of hull to establish center of gravity, ideal hull form, and buoyancy and stability data.
- Conduct stability analyses of ships.
- Design complete hull and superstructure according to specifications and test data, in conformity with standards of safety, efficiency, and economy.
Marine Architect Skills
Marine Architects state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Other Marine Architect Job Titles
- Initial Design and Naval Architecture Supervisor
- Naval Architect
- Marine Structural Designer
- Piping Designer
- Engineering Technician
Marine Architect Employment Estimates
There were about 8,200 jobs for Marine Architect in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 12.2% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,000 new jobs for Marine Architect by 2026. There will be an estimated 600 positions for Marine Architect per year.
The states with the most job growth for Marine Architect are Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Virginia. Watch out if you plan on working in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, or Oregon. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Marine Architect Make?
Marine Architects make between $65,090 and $148,950 a year.
Marine Architects who work in California, District of Columbia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
How much do Marine Architects make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$118,090|
What Tools & Technology do Marine Architects Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Marine Architects:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- ANSYS FLUENT
- MSC Software Nastran
- Siemens PLM Software NX
- Autodesk Algor Simulation
- Intergraph SmartMarine 3D
- Creative System GHS
- HydroComp NavCad
- Proteus Engineering FastShip
Becoming a Marine Architect
Education needed to be a Marine Architect:
What work experience do I need to become a Marine Architect?
Where Marine Architects Work
Below are examples of industries where Marine Architects work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|