What Does it Take to Be an Investment Underwriter?
Investment Underwriter Definition Manage communications or negotiations between corporate issuers of securities and clients regarding private equity investments. Underwrite the issuance of securities to provide capital for client growth. Negotiate and structure the terms of mergers or acquisitions.
Life As an Investment Underwriter
- Specialize in green financial instruments, such as socially responsible mutual funds or exchange-traded funds (ETF) that are comprised of green companies.
- Analyze financial or operational performance of companies facing financial difficulties to identify or recommend remedies.
- Employ financial models to develop solutions to financial problems or to assess the financial or capital impact of transactions.
- Arrange financing of deals from sources such as financial institutions, agencies, or public or private companies.
- Structure marketing campaigns to find buyers for new securities.
- Supervise, train, or mentor junior team members.
Types of Investment Underwriter
- Investment Banker
- Acquisition Specialist
- Mergers and Acquisitions Consultant
- Securities Underwriter
- Prime Broker
Are There Job Opportunities for Investment Underwriters?
In the United States, there were 135,900 jobs for Investment Underwriter in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 13,100 new jobs for Investment Underwriter by 2026. The BLS estimates 13,100 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Investment Underwriter are Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. Watch out if you plan on working in South Dakota, Maryland, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Investment Underwriter Average Salary
Investment Underwriters make between $38,030 and $123,360 a year.
Investment Underwriters who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or Illinois, make the highest salaries.
How much do Investment Underwriters make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$107,760|
What Tools & Technology do Investment Underwriters Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Investment Underwriters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Bloomberg Professional
- Moody’s KMV CreditEdge
Where do Investment Underwriters Work?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Image Credit: Dave Dugdale via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Accounting / Finance Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|