What Does it Take to Be a Fuel Cell Technician?
Career Description Install, operate, or maintain integrated fuel cell systems in transportation, stationary, or portable applications.
Life As a Fuel Cell Technician
- Install or test spark ignition (SI) or compression ignition (CI) engines.
- Assemble fuel cells or fuel cell stacks according to mechanical or electrical assembly documents or schematics.
- Order fuel cell testing materials.
- Install, calibrate, or operate emissions analyzers, cell assist software, fueling systems, or air conditioning systems in engine testing systems.
- Perform routine or preventive maintenance on fuel cell test equipment.
- Report results of fuel cell tests.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Fuel Cell Battery Technician
- Fuel Cell Technician
- Fuel Cell Assembler
- Alternative Energy Technician
Job Demand for Fuel Cell Technicians
In the United States, there were 76,800 jobs for Fuel Cell Technician in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Fuel Cell Technician by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 7,100 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Fuel Cell Technician are Utah, Nevada, and Connecticut. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, West Virginia, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Fuel Cell Technicians Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Fuel Cell Technicians ranges between about $36,120 and $98,720 a year.
Fuel Cell Technicians who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Maine, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fuel Cell Technicians make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$92,600|
What Tools do Fuel Cell Technicians Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Fuel Cell Technicians:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Data acquisition software
Where Fuel Cell Technicians Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|