What is a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
Job Description & Duties Laminate layers of fiberglass on molds to form boat decks and hulls, bodies for golf carts, automobiles, or other products.
Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator Responsibilities
- Check all dies, templates, and cutout patterns to be used in the manufacturing process to ensure that they conform to dimensional data, photographs, blueprints, samples, or customer specifications.
- Inspect, clean, and assemble molds before beginning work.
- Repair or modify damaged or defective glass-fiber parts, checking thicknesses, densities, and contours to ensure a close fit after repair.
- Mask off mold areas not to be laminated, using cellophane, wax paper, masking tape, or special sprays containing mold-release substances.
- Mix catalysts into resins, and saturate cloth and mats with mixtures, using brushes.
- Bond wood reinforcing strips to decks and cabin structures of watercraft, using resin-saturated fiberglass.
What Skills Do You Need to Work as a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
These are the skills Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators say are the most useful in their careers:
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Types of Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator
- Fiberglass Roller
- Composite Bond Technician
- Hull Line Crew Member
Is There Job Demand for Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators?
In the United States, there were 19,700 jobs for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator in 2016. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator. There will be an estimated 2,200 positions for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator per year.
The states with the most job growth for Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator are Utah, Alabama, and Rhode Island. Watch out if you plan on working in Virginia, Maine, or Washington. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator Average Salary
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators make between $23,590 and $49,900 a year.
Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators who work in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
Tools & Technologies Used by Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Data entry software
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
How do I Become a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
Education needed to be a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator?
Where Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators Work
Below are examples of industries where Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators work:
Those interested in being a Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator may also be interested in:
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Are you already one of the many Fiberglass Laminator or Fabricator in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Welding / Fabrication Schools
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|