Life As a Distance Learning Coordinator
Distance Learning Coordinator Job Description Coordinate day-to-day operations of distance learning programs and schedule courses.
What Do Distance Learning Coordinators Do On a Daily Basis?
- Supervise distance learning support staff.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with distance learning equipment or applications.
- Conduct inventories of distance learning equipment, summarizing equipment usage data.
- Provide technical or logistical support to users of distance learning classrooms, equipment, web sites, or services.
- Develop distance learning program goals or plans, including equipment replacement, quality assurance, or course offering plans.
- Communicate to faculty, students, or other users availability of, or changes to, distance learning courses or materials, programs, services, or applications.
Skills Needed to be a Distance Learning Coordinator
Below is a list of the skills most Distance Learning Coordinators say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Distance Learning Coordinator
- Head of Academic Technology
- Distance Learning Technician
- Development Coordinator
- Distance Learning Unit Leader
Is There Job Demand for Distance Learning Coordinators?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 38,400 jobs in the United States for Distance Learning Coordinator. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.7% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,100 new jobs for Distance Learning Coordinator by 2026. The BLS estimates 3,400 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Distance Learning Coordinator are Utah, Nevada, and New York. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, South Dakota, or Rhode Island. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Distance Learning Coordinators Salary
The salary for Distance Learning Coordinators ranges between about $44,130 and $141,000 a year.
Distance Learning Coordinators who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Distance Learning Coordinators in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$105,730|
What Tools & Technology do Distance Learning Coordinators Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Distance Learning Coordinators may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Publisher
- Extensible markup language XML
- Oracle PeopleSoft
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash
- SAP Crystal Reports
Becoming a Distance Learning Coordinator
Education needed to be a Distance Learning Coordinator:
What work experience do I need to become a Distance Learning Coordinator?
Distance Learning Coordinators Sector
Distance Learning Coordinators work in the following industries:
Image Credit: Shai-WMIL via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International
More about our data sources and methodologies.