What is a Copy Writer?
Copy Writer Example Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
What Do Copy Writers Do On a Daily Basis?
- Review advertising trends, consumer surveys, and other data regarding marketing of goods and services to determine the best way to promote products.
- Edit or rewrite existing copy as necessary, and submit copy for approval by supervisor.
- Write articles, bulletins, sales letters, speeches, and other related informative, marketing and promotional material.
- Discuss with the client the product, advertising themes and methods, and any changes that should be made in advertising copy.
- Consult with sales, media and marketing representatives to obtain information on product or service and discuss style and length of advertising copy.
- Vary language and tone of messages based on product and medium.
Copy Writer Needed Skills
When polled, Copy Writers say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Other Copy Writer Job Titles
- Online Content Developer
- Blurb Writer
- Advertising Writer
- Advertising Copywriter
- Ad Writer
Copy Writer Employment Estimates
In the United States, there were 131,200 jobs for Copy Writer in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 7.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 10,000 new jobs for Copy Writer by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 12,600 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Copy Writer are Utah, Washington, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Kansas, New Mexico, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Copy Writer Salary
The average yearly salary of a Copy Writer ranges between $31,700 and $121,670.
Copy Writers who work in District of Columbia, California, or Connecticut, make the highest salaries.
How much do Copy Writers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$101,690|
Tools & Technologies Used by Copy Writers
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Copy Writers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Google Docs
- FileMaker Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Google Drive
How to Become a Copy Writer
Education needed to be a Copy Writer:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Who Employs Copy Writers?
Copy Writers work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|