What Do Short Order Cook Do?
Occupation Description Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables.
Life As a Short Order Cook: What Do They Do?
- Grill, cook, and fry foods such as french fries, eggs, and pancakes.
- Take orders from customers and cook foods requiring short preparation times, according to customer requirements.
- Order supplies and stock them on shelves.
- Perform food preparation tasks, such as making sandwiches, carving meats, making soups or salads, baking breads or desserts, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Restock kitchen supplies, rotate food, and stamp the time and date on food in coolers.
- Perform general cleaning activities in kitchen and dining areas.
Short Order Cook Required Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Short Order Cooks say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Time Management: Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Types of Short Order Cook Jobs
- Grill Person
- Griddle Cook
- Bed and Breakfast Cook (B&B Cook)
- Hash Slinger
- Pizza Maker
What Kind of Short Order Cook Job Opportunities Are There?
In the United States, there were 185,900 jobs for Short Order Cook in 2016. There is little to no growth in job opportunities for Short Order Cook. The BLS estimates 24,700 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Short Order Cook are Utah, Washington, and Arizona. Watch out if you plan on working in Ohio, Maine, or Kansas. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Short Order Cooks Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Short Order Cooks ranges between about $18,190 and $34,370 a year.
Short Order Cooks who work in Alaska, Hawaii, or Massachusetts, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Short Order Cooks in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$31,010|
Tools & Technologies Used by Short Order Cooks
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Short Order Cooks may use on a daily basis:
- Point of sale POS software
- Inventory control software
- Plexis Software Plexis POS
- RestaurantPlus PRO
- Aldelo Systems Aldelo for Restaurants Pro
- Foodman Home-Delivery
Becoming a Short Order Cook
What education is needed to be a Short Order Cook?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Short Order Cooks Are Employed
Below are examples of industries where Short Order Cooks work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|